Another Sunday....another sweet treat! I hope you've been enjoying reading and/or testing out these recipes! I know I certainly have!
You've probably noticed over the last few weeks that I like recipes that have few ingredients and are quick and easy to whip up and super tasty! This week I made Vanilla Custard! This is another dessert that can be made ahead of time (it needs to be refrigerated for 6-8 hours before serving) with about 10 minutes of prep and 15 minutes of total cooking time. The custard is also very versatile -- you can enjoy it with fresh fruit, make gluten-free pie crust and create beautiful custard tarts, or just enjoy it on its own.
I drew this recipe from Primal Palate, one of my favourite paleo recipe websites.
- 25 oz of coconut milk
- 3 eggs (separate yolks and whites)
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of organic maple syrup
- 1.5 tbsp of organic, unflavoured gelatin
- Combine coconut milk, egg yolks, vanilla, maple syrup and gelatin in a small pot over medium heat. Continuously stir to avoid burning
- Allow to come to a low boil, then remove from heat and allow to cool
- Whip egg whites until they begin to form peaks.
- Fold egg whites into coconut milk mixture gently until the mixture is evenly consistent.
- Refrigerate custard overnight before using.
I serve my custard in individual portions in small mason jars with some fresh, local blueberries and some granola! The tart, sweetness of the blueberries is perfectly balanced by the custard! You can even add a mint leaf for presentation. Coupled with a shot of espresso (decaf for me!), this custard is a perfect finish to a Sunday dinner and the weekend!
P.s. Be sure to subscribe to our new email newsletter to keep up to date with upcoming blog posts, events, programming and special discounts! Click here to subscribe! You'll have to confirm your subscription via email and add us to your safe list! We're going to be randomly selecting subscribers to send free #BuildandBurn passes to this week! We promise not to spam you!
P.p.s. TRY BEFORE YOU BUY: Build and Burn! You can now try a drop-in class or a week of programming before committing to the full month of the Build and Burn program! Check the calendar for a class that interests you, purchase a session and contact us to confirm your date! Click here for all the info! Lets get lean and strong together this summer