And so it begins...meal prep season. It's hard to believe, but tomorrow (yes tomorrow) is actually my first day of school. For today's treat, I wanted to make something something quick and easy, that could serve the purpose of a post-workout snack OR a sweet little pick me up to get me through those '9-hours of lecture' days. I managed to stumble upon a Raw, Paleo, Protein Brownie Bite recipe over at The Healthy Family and Home and when I saw that the recipe utilized my favourite type of protein powder (Garden of Life), I knew it was meant to be!
I love making 'protein- or energy-' balls because they are kind of like 'choose your own adventure' recipes. Once you cover your bases in terms of a nut butter, some oil, and protein powder, you can pretty much tailor the rest of the recipe to meet your needs and tastes. They are also super simple, most do not require baking, and they can last in the refrigerator for quite some time! You will need a food processor or blender for this one although I had a little bit of difficulty with my VitaMix and ended up mixing the ingredients by hand in the end. If you've got 10 minutes, you have more than enough time to dump these ingredients in a blender, mix 'em, roll 'em, dress 'em and set yourself up for a week filled with tasty snacks!
*makes 10 large or 20 small protein bites
- 1 cup organic almond flour
- 1 scoop of Garden of Life Raw Protein (or raw protein of your choice)*
- * see link above for substitution suggestions
- 1/4 cup organic sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup organic chia seeds
- 1/4 cup organic raw cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup organic nut butter
- I used almond butter, but I'm willing to bet almond hazelnut would also be delish!
- 1 tbsp organic coconut oil (melted)
- I used 2 tbsp because I wanted a higher fat content, and also because I knew I would be using less than the suggested amount of maple syrup and I wanted to get the right texture
- 2-3 tbsp of organic maple syrup
- I dropped this down to 1 tbsp
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until well combined. You're going for a crumbly yet paste-type consistency.
- Roll 'em! Scoop small spoonfuls and squeeze tightly in the palm of your hands. Once well packed, roll then between your palms into a small ball shape.
- Dress 'em! You can see above that I used two different types of 'dressings' - unsweetened coconut and ground pistachios! Both are so yummy! Other options include cocao nibs, sunflower seeds, or chia seeds
- Refrigerate and enjoy!